Monday, March 10, 2014

Pond Aerator



I need to build an aerator for my pond. The pond is approximately 12 feet deep at the deepest point and is between 1/3 to 1/2 acre in size. I have the 32 foot street light pole to mount a windmill aerator on once I build it. I have the plans for the windmill blades and tail, but I don't know make an effective aerator. I have viewed several aerators on line and like the concept of the American Eagle billows aerator the best. However, I don't have the kind of money to lay out to purchase one, so that leaves me no choice but to try to build it. Does anyone know go about building a billows type air pump? I would be most grateful for any viable construction plans. Thank you for your help.

A wind powered aerator is not a substitute for a powered aerator. The problem is that when there is wind to power the windmill the wind also disturbs the surface of the pond, reducing it's need for aeration. When the wind is calm and especially at night (when winds tend to be more calm) the ponds need for aeration is it's greatest.
But, to answer your question. That is a pretty specific, low volume application so there is no cheap, reliable air pump. You can try building one yourself, either a bellows type from auto/truck airbags or converting an old air conditioner compressor. But, wind and solar powered aerators are very expensive for the amount of oxygen they add to a pond.

I hate to discourage you, but a pond that large is going to need more than a homemade windmill aerator to properly oxygenate the water. If you have electrical power available, your best option is a submersible pump (maybe you can scavenge a heavy-duty sump pump) located in the center of the pond, with the discharge pointing straight up. When the water falls back to the pond the water surface is disturbed, creating air bubbles, which are absorbed back into the pond. In nature this is accomplished on large bodies of water by wave action.

Originally Posted by hoosierneighbor
(maybe you can scavenge a heavy-duty sump pump) located in the center of the pond, with the discharge pointing straight up. When the water falls back to the pond the water surface is disturbed, creating air bubbles, which are absorbed back into the pond. In nature this is accomplished on large bodies of water by wave action.
ESAGE:I do agree with 'hoosierneighbor' I do note that my pond is extremely small in comparison (2000 gallons) I use only the pond pump which one output is attached to a filiter and the other output attached to the 'water fountain' as my only source of Aeration...

Hi esage . . . I have a pond similar in size to yours and I found this post through Google. I also want to aerate my pond. Pilot Dane hit it exactly: the problem is nighttime.
I have the American Eagle windmill. It looks really cool and works as advertised. But my pond is overgrown with plants now, and when the pond needs oxygen the most -- at night when the plants are filling the pond with CO2 -- the windmill has no wind to turn it to pump air into the pond.
It's a catch-22 situation. I have put grass carp in the pond to eat the vegetation, but they have died, I believe because of lack of oxygen. (I have an O2 test kit coming soon, but everything else like nitrates pH, and ammonia checks out OK, so I think now the problem is a lack of oxygen.)
Did you ever get your problem solved? All replies from anyone are welcome!

Windy Millz I would get a proper aeration system. It will probably have a rotary vane pump or regenerative blower requiring AC power. I know they are expensive but not much different than a properly sized windmill, still I would start getting comfortable with a comma in the price.
---
The white amur (grass carp) in my pond are now 10 years old and are pushing 40-42 long. They look like nuclear submarines cruising below the surface. Instead of the weed problem I had long ago now I'm fighting erosion. They have ripped out the cattails and in the evening they come a foot up onto shore to eat the weeds and grasses tearing away big chunks of the bank in the process.

There is a company that makes a windmill air compressor that can pump air into the pond as well as store air for non windy days. A friend of ours had one installed for her pond. I believe it is a 5 hp compressor and can get the pressure up over 125 PSI Im not sure what the name is but I can ask her for the info if anybody wants it

I would be very interested in knowing more about the windmill air compressor she installed. Sounds like a very good idea.

Do some searches online. There are a couple companies that offer wind powered, air pump pond aerators. Unless you are in an remote location without electricity I don't think they are a good option but if the wind blows they can pump air.

This thread is somewhat old and has ran its course. If anyone has pond related issue please start a new thread.
Thanks






Tags: pond, aerator, into pond, pond with, absorbed back, absorbed back into, absorbed back into pond, absorbed back into pond nature, accomplished large, accomplished large bodies, accomplished large bodies water, accomplished large bodies water wave, American Eagle